Who is not familiar with cherries? Yes, this beautiful and tiny red fruit really attracts the attention of the population because of its alluring shape and can be consumed for body health or processed in such a way. Well, for that let us know together how to grow a cherry tree from seeds.
Usually, this fruit is also often used as a decoration of pastries and various styles of food and beverage dishes sold in the market. Cherries are members of the Prunus clan and broadly speaking cherries consist of 2 kinds, namely sour cherries (Prunus ceracus) and sweet cherries (Prunus avium). Cherries can live in a middle climate. On this occasion we ongin invite you to cultivate cherries but before that know how to grow cherry trees from seeds. let’s look at the article from lavitaebellablog below.
How To Grow A Cherry Tree From Seed
In Indonesia itself, cherries can usually grow in places that have cold air, one of which is the cherry blossoming in the Lembang area, Bandung, or several points in the highlands. Because it can be said to be rare in Indonesia, the price is quite high. Even so, this fruit is still popular with the wider community and many have tried to cultivate themselves. Cherry fruit itself contains several compounds such as the following substances:
Various kinds of antioxidant substances can inhibit the occurrence of oxidation reactions so that they can be medangcal free radicals and harmful substances that enter the body. That way, this substance will raise the immunity platform of the human body. One example of an antioxidant is the dose of anthocyanins.
A wide variety of vitamins such as vitamin A and vitamin C that serve for special metabolic processes as well as maintaining eye health, heart health, avoiding canker sores, and so on.
A variety of minerals such as iron, calcium, and magnesium to help various cell metabolic processes in the body. With the benefits provided, cherries are very good for inhibiting premature aging, increasing body power, launching the circulatory platform, managing uric acid, and others.
Now, many Indonesians have tried to grow cherries in their yards. You can do breeding in 2 ways so that you can choose which one is the easiest, namely generative and vegetative breeding.
This time, we will talk about how to grow cherry from seed. It is not so difficult, you just need to carefully follow the process and take care of it assiduously. However, if the environment is not cool, there may be less than optimal development of cherries. Come on, we see the steps on how to grow cherry from seeds below.
1. Preparing the Land
You can plant cherries in the ground as well as pots, depending on the needs.
If you plan to plant a cherry tree until it is large and abundantly fruitful, then you should choose only the soil.
- Make a hole in the ground approximately 50 cm x 50 cm x 50 cm (Size is a length x width x inside).
- Fill the pit with compost or manure in the pit with approximately up to 2/3 of the parts are fulfilled.
- Rest the soil more or less for 3 weeks.
If you do not have a large enough land, you can use a pot and put it in the yard where you live. It’s just that you have to be diligent in pruning so that it doesn’t grow big and can cause death if the nutrients in the pot are not enough to meet large plants. Not only that, the rooting in the pot is also not so strong compared to the soil directly.
- Preferably, choose a large pot in order to achieve more optimal results.
- Fill such pots with a mixture of soil and compost or manure.
- Allow the mixture to blend perfectly so that the soil can be fertile.
2. Prepare Quality Seeds
Here’s how to grow cherry from seed. Quality seeds will determine the yield of peranakan in the end, then you should be observant to choose those characteristics of cherries that have the opportunity to degrade good character.
Choose seeds from cherries that are old, large, and un stigmatized, and conducive to all sorts of pests of diseases such as ticks, mites, caterpillars, larvae, leafhoppers, and so on.
- Clean the flesh of the cherry, then separate the seeds.
- After that, dry the seeds under the scorching sun directly for approximately 1 day.
- Transfer to a shaded place for a few moments.
- Wrap cherries with tissue paper.
- Put it in the refrigerator and leave it for about 1 week, this method is shown so that the cherry seeds are faster to sprout.
- When it is time to plant, remove it from the refrigerator and leave it for approximately 1 hour.
- If you do not have a cherry tree and it is difficult to reach for seeds, you can buy them at the nearest seedling store, although it is quite rare.
- Planting should be carried out in sequence and carefully.
- Seed cherry seeds into pre-provided holes or pots.
- If buying seedlings from a store that is generally grown in polybags, then remove them carefully and do not let the root break. Seedlings should be placed in a perpendicular position.
- Cover the planting medium by compacting as neatly as possible so that the root and future development will be strong.
- If you are planting in a pot, put the pot in a shaded place.
Treatment consists of several ways. Such means consist of watering, fertilizing or hormones, embroidery and eradication of pests.
Watering can be carried out regularly once a day to retain moisture.
Fertilizing should be done regularly once a month. You can also give additional fruit-stimulating hormones when the cherry tree has begun to look fruitful, of course, with an adjusted composition.
Embroidery needs to be done if there are parts of the plant that have withered or died so that they do not propagate to other parts. Embroidery can be in the form of mutilation or replacing it with a new plant in a vegetative way. You can also see how to care for a plant that is on the verge of death.
Pest eradication can be weeding, pruning and using pesticides. Weeding and pesticide utilization are sufficient if the cherries are planted in the ground alone. It is also needed to clean the soil from the growing wild grass so as not to interfere with the development of plants.
As an alternative way you can also raise animals that can hunt pests. Or learn how to treat plant pests with natural pesticides. Meanwhile, pruning is important to do if the cherries are planted. In a pot to make it easier for the owner and not to grow. Large because it can no longer be controlled.
The first harvest period is usually only seen at 3 to 4 years from the beginning of planting. But if the care is done very well and the environmental atmosphere is supportive. It is possible that the cherries begin to grow at 1 to 2 years of souring. But, unfortunately, this cherry tree does not have a definitive harvest period, in other words. It is not certain that every year the cherry tree can bear fruit as desired.
Well, those are grow cherry trees from seeds. With this article hopefully it can help you in the cultivation of Cherries, thank you.